As we all know Medical Coding is one of the fastest growing fields in the India at a rate of 25-35 % per year. It is also the fastest-growing outsourced business process in India; hence, qualified and trained candidates are highly in demand for handling this crucial task. In United States currently only 49% employers have adequate staff of medical coders due to the lack of trained candidates.
The perks in this job are limitless, from a handsome salary amount to work from facilities but let’s understand what exactly you are required to do it.
A CPC is an individual who has earned the designation by taking and passing a medical coding certification exam issued by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). These folks have to use diagnostic codes to submit bills to insurance companies for services a doctor has provided to a patient. They must have a minimum of two years of coding experience and complete a certain number of continuing education courses every two years for further growth.
The Medical coding certification i.e. CPC is conducted by AAPC it is an importance exam because a certified medical coder is paid more in comparison to the non-certified medical coder. In fact, AAPC estimated that coders who hold its certified professional coder (CPC) credential earn 20 percent more than their non-certified counterparts.
In addition to its entry-level CPC credential, AAPC has a diverse range of subjects in which an individual can specialize.
More than 98,000 health care professionals around the US hold AAPC certifications in physician offices, clinics, outpatient facilities and hospitals. These credentials represent the benchmark in-medical coding, billing, auditing, compliance, and practice management, and are nationally recognized. It’s a benefit of opting for this course that you will be a part of something that only few candidates get selected for. Thus, you will always be in demand.
Once you pass the CPC exam, you are not officially certified by the AAPC until you fulfill a few other criteria. In order to complete a CPC certification, you must become a member of the AAPC. Certifications are meant for coders who have at least 2 years of experience.
As such, the CPC exam is recommended for individuals who have already started their coding career. That won’t prevent us from going over the basics of this important exam.
Om training and consultancy is one of the most trusted institute for the specific career
What You Will Learn
- Abstract information required to support accurate coding health care claims to obtain reimbursement from Insurance companies.
- Identify documentation deficiencies and proper query providers for proper code capture.
- Solid understanding of anatomy, physiology & medical terminology required to correctly code professional provider services & diagnoses. Proficiency across a wide range of services, including evaluation & management, anesthesia, surgery, radiology, pathology & medicine.
- A sound knowledge of medical coding guidelines and regulations including compliance and reimbursement.
- Integrate medical coding and payment policy changes into a practice’s reimbursement processes.
- Research Medical records and corresponds with Insurance companies to resolve issues related to claims denial.
Along with the requisites, we would like to talk about the rewards as well:
As a medical coder, you may find that you earn a handsome salary of $47,987 per year. However your experience can give you better results and it can extend upto $70,000 per year as well. It also depends on the geographical demand, but all in all, it glimmers a lot of possibilities.